Walla Walla County, WA and Umatilla County, OR have been awarded Federal funds under the Emergency Food and Shelter National Board Program.
The United Way of the Blue Mountains, WA has been chosen to receive $81,600 under the Emergency Food and Shelter Program (EFSP) to supplement emergency food and shelter programs in Walla Walla County, WA.
The United Way of the Blue Mountains, OR has been chosen to receive $120,616 under the Emergency Food and Shelter Program (EFSP) to supplement emergency food and shelter programs in Umatilla County, OR.
The selection was made by a National Board, chaired by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency, and consists of representatives from American Red Cross, Catholic Charities, USA, National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA, The Jewish Federations of North America, The Salvation Army, and United Way Worldwide. The Local Board was charged to distribute funds appropriated by Congress to help expand the capacity of food and shelter programs in high-need areas around the country.
The Local EFSP Board will determine how the funds awarded are to be distributed among the emergency food and shelter programs run by local service agencies in our area.
Under the terms of the grant from the National Board, local agencies chosen to receive funds must:
1) Be private voluntary non-profits or units of government
2) Be eligible to receive federal funds
3) Have an accounting system
4) Practice nondiscrimination
5) Have demonstrated the capability to deliver emergency food and/or shelter programs, and
6) If they are a private voluntary organization, they must have a voluntary board.
Program funds are used to provide the following, as determined by the Local Board in funded jurisdictions:
- Food, in the form of served meals or groceries/food boxes
- Lodging in a mass shelter or hotel
- Rent or mortgage payment
- Utility bills
In keeping with the emergency nature of this award, completed applications must be returned to the United Way office at the above address no later than 3:00PM Monday, March 28, 2022.